6.08.2011

Magazines: Rock & Read feat. Aoi from the GazettE Pt. III

Hi everyone!

How many of you read the title and thought “Oh! About time!” nervous laugh


I checked the last time part 2 was posted and I thought “Wow, it's been quite sometime...yikes!” Anyhow, after letting it sit for some time I've finally have part 3 done! Hooray hooray! This time around Aoi tells us his motivations for getting into music, and many other things that came after that.

As usual, please link back to us and do not copy and paste this entire English translation to your personal website/blog/etc.

Without any further ado, onto Aoi and what seems to be his brother complex.

For those who haven't read the previous parts or need a refresher, the links are below.

Part I
Part II

Enjoy♪

---
I: And now back to the original question. I would like to ask about when you first started music. Did you have many experiences in music back when you were little?

A: I had my older brother's used record player but I didn't have any records to play (laughs). Sometimes in kid's magazines there are supplementary vinyl sound sheets attached and so I'd listen to those.

I: Did your parents like music and did your sister and brother listen to music at home often?

A: My parents...well it would have been nice if they liked classical music but they were Enka* fanatics.
They like to sing really loudly and even bought a karaoke system.
*Enka is traditional Japanese ballads, for those curious to hear how it sounds like check this out. Aoi also mentioned his mom loved singing to Teresa Teng (featured in the link), who is a famous Taiwanese singer who was prominent all over Asia during her generation.

I: Oh! You even had a karaoke system at home!?

A: We did and I even sang Enka with everyone (laughs). I've never heard any music coming out of my sister's room, but my brother always had music blasting from his room. He was in a band, and he played the guitar. He did Jun Sky Walkers covers, in the mornings he'd play a “don doko don doko” CD. It was a nuisance, but a good kind of nuisance (laughs).

I: Since he did covers of Jun Sky Walkers, your brother was pretty into the classic bands that were popular then. Can you recall any other bands?

A: X Japan...and some Western bands, mostly heavier-sounding bands.

I: When you say a “good nuisance” was that the main factor that influenced your interest in music?

A: There was a time when my brother was playing a song and I thought, “That's a cool song”. I asked him, “What song is this?” “It's X Japan's Kurenai” and I thought “I want to play it too!”

I: So you weren't interested in singing, but instead, you suddenly wanted to play the guitar?

A: Singing wasn't anything special to me. I mean I could sing karaoke at home, and at school I could sing in music class. But guitar is different, there's a special kind of feeling, and I thought it was cool. And also, my brother said he would lend me his guitar.

I: You weren't interested in bass or drums?

A: I wasn't. My brother played the guitar and that was my main influence, so I wasn't interested in the bass or drums(laughs).

I: And your brother lent you his guitar and taught you how to play?

A: Nope, he never taught me anything. The first guitar that he gave me was an acoustic guitar.

I: Was it because he didn't use it very much? (laughs)

A: Yeah(laughs). Which is why no matter how much I played I couldn't produce the sound I wanted.

I: Ah, so that's how it was. It wasn't an electric guitar (laughs)

A: And he also gave me a guitar chord book with various songs in it along with the first guitar. He handed it to me and said “All you need to do is memorize this, now go and do it.”

I: You did as he told you to?

A: I did. On the other hand, my brother's friends were nice to me. They taught me a lot of things (laughs)

I: After starting the guitar did you talk about it with your friends? Guitar-related things or X Japan?

A: I didn't. I didn't have many friends that played instruments in our first year of junior high. So there weren't any conversations about guitar or anything related to music. Which is why I felt, “Wow, I didn't know such an awesome band like X Japan existed!”

I:Ah, so you—-all by yourself—-were really into music.

A: Yeah. Another band my brother covered which I thought was really cool and got really into was Metallica. I went to him again and said, “Give me a guitar!” (laughs)

I: Were you like, “Don't give me an ordinary guitar this time! Give me an electric guitar!” (laughs)

A: Yeah! Even though I had an acoustic guitar, he still wouldn't lend me an electric one. Anyways, around the end of first year of junior high my brother gave me an electric guitar. It was a broken electric guitar, but I didn't know that. He told me “It needs an amp.” and of course I saved up New Years money to get one. I held on tightly to the money I saved up, and I asked my mom to take me to buy an amp which was about a 30 minute drive away. The amp was small, so it was easy to transport. After I bought it and connected it to the guitar no sound came out of it, and I cried (laughs). My mom was mad and scolded my brother “Why did you give your brother this broken thing!” “Give him one that works!” and I finally got an electric guitar!

I: Before that you were using the acoustic guitar, but after getting the electric guitar and hearing the sound from the amp, did you feel that, at that moment, something incredible happened?

A: I was really happy when I heard the distorted sound that came out. It felt so satisfying!

I: What kind of songs did you play during that time?

A: For the time being I played X Japan's “Kurenai”. But, well...I couldn't play it well (laughs) It was fun pretending that I could play the song.

I: Did you start talking about music with you friends?

A: I did around the second year of junior high. It just so happened that I was talking to a friend whose older brother also seemed to be in a band. “I want to play guitar too because of him!” “I want to play too! Let's practise together!” was how our conversation went and basically how it all happened. It was mostly like, “Hey let's do a cover of the song together!” As for things like “what kind of bands do you like,” we didn't talk about things like that.

I: What kind of songs did you and your friends cover?

A: I was really into the X Japan boom, but for some reason I thought Seikima II was really cool (laughs). I worked really hard to practise Seikima II's songs.

I: Was listening to Seikima II also due to your brother's influence?

A: It was. My brother is the kind of person who listens to a wide range of music (laughs). Seikima II's songs are simple and pretty easy, even for beginners. My friend and I practised really hard to match the rhythm, even though we had electric guitars.

I: You must have overworked your amp (laughs). Did you keep up with various other types of music?

A: No, not really. Other than Seikima II, I really like Western music. There were only around 5 other bands that I kept up with. I mainly listened to heavy metal because I thought the riffs and stuff like that were really cool.

---

Phew (wipes sweat) My motivation levels for this section were really up and down, but I'm glad it's over. So what did everyone think? Some of the topics have been talked about before so you guys might not find this to be new information. Aoi seemed so intent on getting stuff from his brother...I wonder if it was because he wanted to be like him, or he just didn't want to pay for his own equipment.

Just two more sections to go, and this RR series will finally wrap up★

As always, please leave us your thoughts on this entry below!

We're looking forward to reading it!

20 comments:

LOL @ Aoi singing to enka! xD
Thank you for translating :)

Would love to hear Aoi's voice clearly one day. When he sings backup it sounds pretty decent!

Thanks for translating, and lol his brother really was such a big influence. It really makes me wonder....

his brother must've feel proud being the major influence. =D

but yep, why'd you gv him a broken one although i am pretty sure i'd do that to my bro too,that was like a major prank n major lol i think.
im sure i'd be literally ROFL when i see him bringing home the amp. XD

..annnnnnd!
THANKS for the tanslations!! ^^

He was crying because the guitar had no sound? OMG, too cute...
i feel like telling him, how old are you crying because of that?
but well... Aoi was (is) always a dork, ne?
thanks for translating.. you're cool!
(i want to be able understand Japanese too T___T)
sorry poor English >__<

Thank you very much for your hard work everytime! >w< ♥
Aoi with major brother complexes is so damn cute. ;w; ♥

Thank you so much for the translation!
Aoi indeed talked about these things a few times but i found them interesting to read and reread still ^^
Aoi has a karaoke system at his parent house...XD that explains why he is still into karaoke nowadays and why he once said enka would be the next field he wanted to explore lol~
I would like to hear Aoi's real voice as well XD I think it'll be quite good XD

Thank you for translating this! <3

thank you so much for translating!
Aoi's brother really influenced him a lot when they were younger xD
and the broken guitar story is very funny! Aoi crying and his brother getting scolded lol
I'd like to see Aoi singing Enka lol

It's fun to see how Aoi got interested in playing guitar and how much of an influence his brother had over him. Makes me wonder if at first he wanted to be like his brother playing guitar but slowly figuring out how much fun it was and began liking it for himself. I can definitely see how much love he has for playing his guitar here and how much stronger it is even now! I really respect him as a guitarist and a musician!!

I agree with everyone here, I want to see him sing Enka^^ Maybe that's what Aoi meant when he says that he can't sing any of the popular songs at karaoke b/c he grew up singing Enka! Thank you for the translation!!

Also, I believe this might be too much to ask for, so I apologize in advance, but do we know what Reita's new Rock and Read Interview is about? It hasn't been released yet but I'm just curious. Ah, look at me mentioning Reita during an Aoi interview, I guess I seriously can't get this comedic duo out of my brain^^

@ Anonymous,

I'm trying to imagine him singing to Enka too! Haha
Thank you for commenting!

@ happykawaiiday,

Everyone loves a dorky Aoi! Thanks for dropping by!

@ Anonymous,

Maybe one day he will do a solo act? I'd love to see that!
Yeah, it seems in general “big brothers” have an influence on him.
Thanks for commenting!

@ Lee,

Haha his brother sounded kind of mean. “Take this and just do this”
No problem! Thank you for commenting!

@ silent scribbler,

Bratty dorky Aoi (〃'▽'〃)♪
No problem! Don't worry your English is fine,
and with a little bit of studying you can be able to understand Japanese too!
Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment!

@ sekainostar,

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you so much for leaving a comment!

@ syzygy-lestat,

You're welcome! I really wonder how he sounds like during karaoke.
Hope we can all hear it one day! Thank you so much for the comment!

@ shivermydear,

No problemo! (*・∀・)

@ Anonymous,

You're welcome (●´∀`●)
Aoi cries and his mom comes to the rescue! Haha
Glad you enjoyed the read and thank you for the comment!

@ Anonymous,

Glad you liked the read!
I don't have the magazine so therefore I don't have a clue what's it's about.
Maybe someone has posted it already?
Anyways, thank you for dropping by and leaving us a comment!
Much appreciated!

The funny thing is since he is a younger sibling I can totally imagine his older brother's acts,for I gave my younger siblings the stuff I didn't need as well maybe it's an older siblings thing:p

and your blog hates me for some reason I can't sign with LJ neither wordpress

thanks as always~

hehe... i admire his determination. guys, it's called brotherly love man! that's normal. you tease your younger brother. hehe...
thank you for the translation...
even if the guitar is broken, the feeling you get when you play it is beautiful...
well for someone who's fascinated with guitars that is..
like myself.. haha...

I can just picture Aoi crying over his broken guitar :/nice to know his inspirations :)

broken electric guitar XDDDDDDDDDDDDD aoi brother really make a fool on him XDDDDDDDDD aoi mother is somekind of..justice!? XDDD

thx for the translation!!! *bow* enjoy reading it very much

I can just picture Aoi crying over his broken guitar :/nice to know his inspirations :)

hehe... i admire his determination. guys, it's called brotherly love man! that's normal. you tease your younger brother. hehe...
thank you for the translation...
even if the guitar is broken, the feeling you get when you play it is beautiful...
well for someone who's fascinated with guitars that is..
like myself.. haha...

The funny thing is since he is a younger sibling I can totally imagine his older brother's acts,for I gave my younger siblings the stuff I didn't need as well maybe it's an older siblings thing:p

and your blog hates me for some reason I can't sign with LJ neither wordpress

thanks as always~

Thank you so much for the translation!
Aoi indeed talked about these things a few times but i found them interesting to read and reread still ^^
Aoi has a karaoke system at his parent house...XD that explains why he is still into karaoke nowadays and why he once said enka would be the next field he wanted to explore lol~
I would like to hear Aoi's real voice as well XD I think it'll be quite good XD

Would love to hear Aoi's voice clearly one day. When he sings backup it sounds pretty decent!

Thanks for translating, and lol his brother really was such a big influence. It really makes me wonder....

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...