1.28.2011

Follow Friday 1: AZU

Hello everyone!


Today is the launching of one of the many Mou Ichido projects--Follow Friday's Pick Up Artist! (Applause)

Alright so you all may be wondering what exactly this “Follow Fridays” are--well, let me explain.
Each week we're going to introduce one artist or band. It will feature the artist or band's background and history, followed by songs we think are worth checking out. It's a chance for everyone to get to know other artists or bands that may not be so popular and also for us to spread the word about them!

So in other words, you can think of it like a radio show, only you can't hear us (laughs)

Alright, let's get the show on the road!


This week's pick up artist is the lovely AZU.

Background

AZU is from the Mie prefecture started her music career in the Tokyo Club scenes around the age of 16.
AZU explains the meaning behind her stage name as, “Putting memories to all the words from A to Z and conveying them to you (U)."

AZU was featured as a background vocalist for rapper SEAMO in several of his songs. However it was in 2006 where she was featured as a prominent artist in his song “."

In 2007 AZU made her major debut as an artist with the single “Cherish”, and following tha,t her song featuring SEAMO ””, attracted a lot of attention on the music scene.

She currently has two albums, with the most recent album “Two of US” released in March 2010.
Her third album “AzyoU” will be released on February 23rd 2011.

I won't review all of her songs as that would be way too tedious to do and I'm sure all of you won't want to read my essay long thoughts on her songs. I will however list out the songs I personally think are worth checking out.

Here are my top picks:

Feat Spontania」 ☆☆☆☆

I Will ☆☆☆

For You ☆☆☆

YOU & I Feat. LOVE LOVE LOVE ☆☆☆☆

☆☆☆☆

Feat SEAMO ☆☆☆☆

Broken Heart ☆☆☆

Feat Crystal Boy ☆☆☆


Songs Featuring AZU

Feat AZU」 ☆☆☆☆


Feat AZU ☆☆☆☆


Feat AZU ☆☆☆☆

*Note: Ratings are out of 5 stars.

AZU Information


Want to buy AZU's CDs? Check them out here!


My Thoughts

There aren't many female artist in my play list and so one day I decided to look around. At first I came across a duo called “Spontania” and their song “. I fell in love with this song the moment I heard it. It's a fusion of traditional Japanese melody together with R&B. It really put me into a dreamy state, kind of like that feeling when you're staring into a beautiful blue sky and just letting your thoughts wander. While listening I noticed the female vocalist. Unlike many of the typical Japanese female artists she didn't have that typical nasally high pitched voice and this was a plus point for me. My impression of her voice is that its very gentle and soothing. I even found myself unconsciously singing along to her lines. I'd fallen in love with AZU and therefore I started my AZU hunt (laugh).

Up to now she has released a total of 11 singles, and 2 albums with the 3rd one coming soon in February. Having listened to her entire discography there are so many songs I can't get enough of. When I say this I really mean it. Yes, she does have a couple of really cheesy songs like “Happily Ever After” but there are also songs that make me constantly played over and over again. Her songs are very easy to listen to, it really puts you in that mellow dreamy mood sometimes even lovey dovey mood(laughs). Also, her lyrics are really sweet especially her love songs. There definitely have been a couple of lines from various songs I love singing to.

* * *

What do you guys think? Of course this is just my opinion, but we would love to hear what you guys have to say! For those of you listening to AZU for the first time what was your impression? For those of you who are existing AZU fans what are your favourite songs and why.

We hope all of you enjoyed this segment, and we would love to hear your suggestions too! Are there any artists you think should be mentioned about? If there are please send us an email and we'll gladly do a feature and review on them!

If you like AZU please support her!

Thank you and see you guys next week on the next segment of Follow Fridays!

Have a great weekend!

G

9 comments:

I really liked her work with Spontania. ^^ She's got a really good voice.

Although I am not a big fan but I like the idea,can't wait for the next one:D

dmriojasblog: Me too! I agree I really love listening to her ( ^∀^ ) Thank you for commenting!

oblivion-chianz: Glad you like the idea, and we hope you will like the upcoming segments! Thank you for the comment!

I think she's a great singer :)
And i think is a great idea for doing this project.I would like to know other artists as well so keep it up! ;)

This is the first time I've heard her and I was really entranced with how beautiful her voice is! Thank you! ^_^

I really like her voice. I think this is a great idea I will look forward to every Friday to see what you post. I gotta say though my interest was peaked about CrystalBoy...where can I find more stuff by him?
:)

@xyrobei

Glad to hear you like the idea of Follow Fridays! You can check out Crystal Boy on his OHP→ http://crystal-boy.syncl.jp/?p=infolist and here on AVEX's channel → http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9pn3ArcuVo if you search for "Crystal Boy" you can find some of his works. Hope that was helpful!

@Kuunvirta

I'm glad to hear that you like her! Hopefully you will check out some of her other works! Oh and thank you for commenting! Much appreciated!

This is the first time I've heard her and I was really entranced with how beautiful her voice is! Thank you! ^_^

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...